Enchantments of Flesh and Spirit (Wraeththu Chronicles) - Storm Constantine Wraeththu are self-sufficient energy organisms. We never fall in love, because love does not exist for us in the same way as it does for lower life forms. In essence, we are love, expressions of the source of creation.
Thiede's speech, telling Pellaz what is a Wraeththu

What can I say? I just finish this book and I must write some words, convincing you to read it too?

No, better say, why you shouldn't read it.

It's not a romance
As you may see in the quotation I added, no, it's not a romance. Pellaz is the protagonist and his narration will be, all the time, from the point of view of someone deeply in love.
Yes, it's not a romance... but Pellaz is in love.

It's not a gay story because it's everything. I add it as trans* and maybe I prefer to consider it a trangender-transsexual because of Wraeththu nature. They are not female, they are not male, they are... both.

It's not a fantasy or a sci-fi it's both. You can consider it strict sci-fi, neither fantasy. It's in the future, where humans are almost a extinct specie, where a new race is taking our place on Earth. Creatures that share energy, magic creatures, strange creatures... the Wraeththu.

It's not a good book, it's much more. It's perfection. The writer created new words, she used it freely, combining English with it. "Anyhar" "somehar", in my ignorance I thought it's was a typo, "any har"... no, it's her creation, her world. You will rejoice, cry, despair, and most of all, you will be addicted to Pellaz voice. that's why I'm saying you should not read it... because you will not live if you start it. My days at work was thinking about him, my free hours were all to this book. I couldn't get my head out of it. The sweet and the dark Pellaz made me forget my days, and be him, live with him, suffer and love with him.

BTW I said it's a transgendler but as you can see I'm using the male pronoun because Pellaz question a lot if he is a male or a female creature, but he will see himself as a male Wraeththu.

Just two more comments

Some book can make me think as if it's a music. If this book was a song, it would be A kind of magic by Queen.
"It’s a kind of magic
A kind of magic
One dream one soul, one prize
One goal, one golden glance of what should be
It’s a kind of magic
One flash of light that shows the way
No mortal man can win this day
The bell that rings inside your mind
Is challenging the doors of time
It's a kind of magic
The waiting seems eternity
The day will dawn on sanity
Is this a kind of magic?
It's a kind of magic
There can be only one
Will soon be done
This flame that burns inside of me
I’m hearing secret harmonies
The bell that rings inside your mind
Is challenging the doors of time
This race that lasts a thousand years
Will soon be, will soon be
Will soon be done
This is a kind of magic
There can be only one
This race that lasts a thousand years
Will soon be done - done
Magic – it’s a kind of magic
Magic, magic, magic, magic
It’s magic
It’s a kind of magic

Pellaz and all of his kind is it... a kind of magic.

another and last comment: this series was original released in 1987. Recently, in 2007, the writer release a 3° edition, and that's the one I got. I strongly recommend it. I know we are in the era of ebooks and some readers (like myself) prefer to buy ebooks... well, this paperback edition is wonderful. From the preface, where the writer explain her reasons to this new revised edition, to the maps and the glossary, this book is a pleasure to read. Each chapter start with a nice drawn, there is a care with details and a lot of inedited scenes (the writer said it, I didn't read all editions).

So to end it (sorry, long review, I know but I'm VERY enthusiast about this book!) yeah... 5 stars. I wish I could give more... seriously... I wish I could give endless stars. Keep reading it, because now, I can't stop. I cry reading the end, and will not spoil saying for the happiness or sadness of it. Read to know... or better, avoid it, if you want to have a life and don't be, as me, completely in love with Pellaz... addicted to him, his life, his... magic.